Following the withdrawal, on November 30th, of the organization of CAN 2019 in Cameroon by CAF, due to delays in the preparations, a new call for applications was launched by the authority of African football. Predicted as a favorite to "recover" the next edition of the competition, Morocco has finally announced that he would not be a candidate.
After the announcement of Morocco, Egypt is positioning itself
If the Egyptians had committed not to compete with another Arab country, including Morocco, a boulevard now opens to them, after the withdrawal of the kingdom Cherifian.
And indeed, "the Egyptian Football Federation (EFA) has officially applied to host the AFCON 2019, which is scheduled for June and was to be organized by Cameroon who was not ready to host it", writes the EFA in a statement posted on Twitter and Facebook, this Thursday, December 13, 2018.
The day before, Wednesday, the Egyptian Minister of Sports already indicated that his country is "ready" to host the high mass of African football. "Egypt is able to organize the competition and we will be proud to do so," said Ashraf Sobhi, on the local ON Sport channel.
The country of the Pharaohs, which has already organized the competition four times, has the necessary infrastructure to host the next edition of the CAN, which will be held for the first time, in a format of 24 teams in the final phase. "We have structures at the highest level, and we have already organized competitions," says the Egyptian minister.
But the country will not be alone in competing to host the AFCON 2019.
South Africa in the starting blocks
For its part, South Africa has officially applied for the organization of the 2019 African Cup of Nations, confirmed Thursday, December 13 the South African Football Federation.
South Africa, which initially had reservations because of social tensions in the country, finally decided to request the organization of the event, a few days before the closing of the deposits, to replace the Cameroon.
It must be said that the last AFCON organized by the country, in 2013, had already been awarded, after the withdrawal of Libya, which was to host. The security situation in Libya had made it impossible to hold the competition on his soil and the country of Nelson Mandela had then made up for it at short notice.
With the infrastructure and the liabilities of the 2010 World Cup (the first organized on the African continent), South Africa leaves with excellent chances to win. In any case, "It's now up to the African Football Confederation (CAF) to decide," the South African federation said in a statement Thursday night.
CAF's decision on the choice of host country is expected to take place on 09 January.